My Wine Cellar Mobile App

I was the lead developer, architect and project manager for the My Wine Cellar Mobile App project at Direct Wines. The app was designed to be used by our existing customers to easily add favorites, dislikes, and ratings to their wine cellar. We used the Appcelerator Titanium platform for building the iOS app using JavaScript, HTML, CSS.

[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”1″ sortorder=”5,1,2,3,4″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_slideshow” gallery_width=”600″ gallery_height=”400″ cycle_effect=”fade” cycle_interval=”5″ show_thumbnail_link=”0″ thumbnail_link_text=”[Show thumbnails]” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]

The app’s features include:

  • Browse your favorites and not for me list
  • Browse your purchase history list
  • Browse your ratings list
  • Quickly snap a photo of a wine that you are drinking and rate it, favorite it, or add it to your dislikes list
  • Purchase a wine from the above lists or one that you take a picture of

The app has a feature to allow customers to take a picture of a wine bottle and get more information about the product and/or purchase it. I built an API wrapper using the Appcelerator Arrow platform to integrate the Tineye Image Recognition API into the mobile app. The API allows the customer’s photos to be backed up in the cloud, which also allows the Direct Wines team to go back later and tag any pictures that were not matched at the time the customer took them. The photos are also sent up to tineye for image recognition matching. I built a nodejs app that allows Direct Wines to easily upload reference images to the image recognition database and also get reporting on successful matches and tagging back customer’s photos to the database to help improve the match rate.

This was a fun project that allowed us to work with Third Party REST API’s, Mobile apps and learn new technology, all with only 2 people on the app development team. My future goal would be to convert this to a React Native app.

The project took about 6 months to complete, which included analysis, requirements, design and development. We deployed this app to the US and UK app stores in May 2016.